Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
I am always looking to get more fiber into my diet, so when I came across this recipe, I knew I had found a great recipe. I use Splenda instead of regular sugar. A perfect breakfast muffin!!
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (about 4 3/4 ounces)
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons wheat germ, untoasted
- 2 tablespoons wheat bran
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1⁄3 cup pitted dates, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup raisins
- 1⁄3 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup boiling water
- cooking spray
- Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife.
- Combine flour and next 7 ingredients (through salt) in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk.
- Stir in oats, dates, raisins, and cranberries. Make a well in center of mixture.
- Combine buttermilk, oil, vanilla, and egg; add to flour mixture, stirring just until moist.
- Stir in boiling water. Let batter stand 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Spoon batter into 12 muffin cups coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 375° for 20 minutes or until muffins spring back when touched lightly in center.
- Remove muffins from pans immediately; place on a wire rack.
These were great! I used all raisins (all I had), swapped the oil for applesauce, and added some nutmeg, cloves, and about 1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts.
These muffins are very, very good! I made a few changes. I didn't have buttermilk so I subbed 1/2 plain yogurt and 1/2 milk. I also grated an apple and used 1/2 of the oil. They were still moist. Instead of the white sugar, I used honey. I also added 2 tablespoons of flax seed. This recipe, of all the recipes for muffins, seemed to be the healthiest of the recipes posted on this site and did they taste great. Thanks.
FANTASTIC! I love that these are so healthy and moist and delicious. I used skim milk instead of buttermilk and applesauce in place of the oil to make them even healthier. Oh, and I only had raisins so I made them with 1 cup of raisins. I LOVE this recipe and will definitely make again. Thanks for posting.