Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Be sure to use whole milk or low fat yogurt in this recipe. Do not use non-fat or the texture will be different.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup oat bran
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups whole milk or 1 1⁄4 cups low-fat vanilla yogurt
- 3⁄4 cup unsweetened almond milk (vanilla or plain)
- 4 tablespoons walnut oil
- 2⁄3 cup cinnamon baking chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add cinnamon chips.
- In a separate bowl whisk together wet ingredients.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients (do not over mix).
- Spoon into a greased scone pan.
- Bake for about 30-35 minutes or until lightly browned.
Yummy! It's nice to be able to have a breakfast treat that is actually healthy. These scones are very easy to make and they go together quickly. I made them as written, using whole milk instead of vanilla yogurt. The only change that I made was to use vegetable oil instead of walnut oil. When I saw the price of a small bottle of walnut oil was $8.00, I decided that I would have to stick with vegetable oil. Next time, I think I would like to try these with a little bit of sugar or honey added to the batter, as the only sweetness is from the cinnamon chips. **Made for My 3 Chefs October 2013**