Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
These freeze well.
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons melted shortening
- 4 tablespoons baking powder
- Sift flour; add baking powder, salt, sugar, and wheat flour.
- Combine egg, milk, and shortening.
- Pour into flour, stirring to moisten.
- Do not beat.
- Fill greased muffin tins 2/3 full.
- Bake for 400 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes.
I just made these muffins. They looked nice and had a good texture, but they tasted like baking powder. I had to put honey on them just to make them palatable.
Ok, say yum! These basic muffins are a snap to make. This is a fantastic base for just about any addition. So far, I have tried bananas, strawberries, cinnamon, and apple-nut. Thank you so very much for sharing this recipe!
Just a good solid muffin recipe. I used butter instead of shortening with no problem. Got a dozen from the recipe and they will be gone in no time.