1 hr 5 mins
Dreamer in Ontario's Note:
Couscous is a great alternative to pasta because it cooks so quickly. This recipe is made with M'hamsa couscous, a hand-rolled sun-dried couscous from Tunisia that has an especially toasty flavor. You could, however, substitute any brand. Delicata squash is wonderful because its skin is edible, but this dish would be just as terrific made with roasted butternut squash. Recipe found at reddding.com. Serves 2 to 3 as a main dish, or 5 to 6 as a side dish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 delicata squash or 1 butternut squash
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2 cups water or 1 1/2 cups broth
- 1 cup m'hamsa couscous or 1 cup whole wheat couscous
- 1/4 cup chopped sun-dried tomato packed in oil
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 2 -3 sprigs fresh parsley, minced
- 1/3 cup fresh mint leaves, minced
- juice 1 lemon
- salt and pepper
- 1/3 cup feta cheese, for garnish
- 1Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- 2With a sharp knife, cut delicata in half lengthwise. (Don't worry about peeling; the skin is edible.), scoop out the seeds, and cut each half into 1/2-inch segments, creating moon-shaped pieces that have slight bumps around the curve.
- 3Arrange pieces in a single layer in a metal baking pan and coat with 2 tablespoons olive oil, salt gently and place in oven; roast 10 minutes. Using a spatula, turn the squash in the pan so that the light sides are now touching the pan and the brown sides are facing up.
- 4Continue roasting, turning every 7 to 10 minutes until both sides of the squash pieces are golden, (about 25 to 30 minutes).
- 5Meanwhile, bring water or broth to a boil over high heat, add couscous, stir, cover and return to boil.
- 6Turn off heat and let the couscous rest for 7 to 10 minutes, then fluff with fork.
- 7Toss couscous with remaining olive oil, sun-dried tomatoes, scallions and parsley and mint.
- 8Add lemon juice and roasted squash, and toss again.
- 9Season to taste with salt and pepper, and top with feta.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Whole Wheat M'Hamsa Couscous Salad
Serving Size: 1 (243 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 729.3
- Calories from Fat 374
- Total Fat 41.6 g
- Saturated Fat 8.7 g
- Cholesterol 22.2 mg
- Sodium 335.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 73.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.0 g
- Sugars 1.5 g
- Protein 15.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: