Prep 1 hr
Cook 10 mins
Prep time includes 45 minutes chilling time.
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 1 cup agave nectar or 1 1⁄4 cups granulated sugar
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter or 12 tablespoons margarine, room temp
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 -2 tablespoon poppy seed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl, set aside.
- With a mixer, beat lemon zest and agave nectar on medium speed. Add butter. Cream with agave and lemon zest until light and fluffy, another 2-3 minutes. Mix in the lemon juice. Add flour mixture; mix until just combined and no flour pockets remain. Chill for about 45 minutes.
- Roll rounded teaspoons of dough in 3/4-in balls; place 2 inches apart onto parchment lined baking sheets. Sprinkle with poppy seeds. Bake 10-12 minutes, rotating after 5 minutes until edges are just set.