Recipe by A Messy Cook
These muffins are delicious and have a great texture, and they are 100% healthy! No refined flour or sweeteners. We have a big family, so this recipe makes a lot of muffins, but it is easily halved for a smaller group. To make the muffins lower in fat, replace half of the oil with unsweetened applesauce. I also use "white whole-wheat" flour, which is softer than that made with red wheat (but has the exact same nutritional value).
Top Review by Kwyndala B.
Fantastic!!! I altered it a bit. I used 1/3 unbleached white flour and 2/3 whole wheat flour. Then I used virgin coconut oil instead of olive or canola. Last, I topped it with a homemade sprinkle to make the top sweet. (pulse rolled oats, almond slivers, and brown sugar in a blender) These were amazingly moist and just sweet enough. YUMMY!
- 3 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons wheat germ (optional)
- 2⁄3 cup olive oil or 2⁄3 cup canola oil
- 1 cup honey
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups mashed ripe bananas
- 1⁄2 cup hot water
Directions See How It's Made
- Stir together dry ingredients.
- Beat oil and honey together; add eggs and beat well.
- Add bananas and beat to combine.
- Add dry ingredients to wet, alternating with hot water; mix well after each addition.
- Spoon batter into 24 greased muffin cups; bake at 325 degrees for 15 minutes, or until muffins are golden brown and test done.
- Remove from oven and cool on rack.