Prep 2 hrs
Cook 20 mins
The original recipe is from Breadworld.com. Soft, healthy and delicious little rolls :-)
- 177.44 ml warm water
- 14.79 ml active dry yeast
- 29.58 ml sugar
- 29.58 ml butter, softened
- 2.46 ml salt
- 354.88 ml whole wheat flour
- 14.79 ml wheat gluten
- 2.46 ml italian seasoning
- 4.92 ml thyme
- Dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup warm water.
- Add remaining water, sugar, butter, salt, 1/2 cup flour, and wheat gluten, blend well.
- Stir in herbs and 1 cup flour to make a soft dough. Knead for 8-10 minutes.
- Place in greased bowl, cover let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down, divide into 12 equal pieces; shape into balls.
- Put the balls in a greased 8' round pan. Cover; let rise in warmplace until doubled in size, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 400F for 15 -20 minutes.
Yum! What great and healthy dinner rolls. Very easy to make and very herb-y. I ended up adding about an extra 1/2 cup of flour, and I subbed honey for the sugar. My only caution -- don't make them when you are home alone -- they will disappear before anyone believes that you made them... ;-)
Great recipe. I needed a good recipe for rolls for our Easter dinner. I needed 1/4 cup extra flour (used a combo of organic white flour & whole wheat), skipped the thyme & used 3/4 tsp Italian seasoning. I didn't have any wheat gluten. I weighed the rolls out to 2oz each so they would cook evenly, and baked @ 350 for 15 min. Next time I might try 18 min just to get a better crust on top, but they were so soft & fluffy as promised. Thanks for sharing!