Recipe by Engineer in the Kitchen
This is from Bread Machine Magic. The best bun we ever had. When barbecuing, I usually divide the dough in half and make 4 burger buns and 6 hot dog buns.
- 1 cup water
- 1 egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons yeast
- 1 tablespoon vital wheat gluten (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place all ingredients in bread pan, select Dough setting, and press Start. (Vital Wheat Gluten is optional but the bread will rise higher with it.).
- When dough has risen enough, the machine will beep. Remove bread pan, and turn out dough onto a floured countertop. Gently roll and shape the dough into a 12-inch rope.
- With a sharp knife, divide dough into 8 pieces for hamburger buns or 12 pieces for hot dog buns.
- Grease a baking sheet. Roll pieces of dough into balls and flatten for hamburger buns or shape into 6-inch rolls for hot dog buns. Place on prepared baking sheet. Cover and let rise in warm oven 10 to 15 minutes until almost doubled.
- Preheat oven to 400°F Bake 10 to 12 minutes until golden brown (be careful mine cook pretty fast). Remove from oven and cool on racks. When ready to use, split buns horizontally. These will keep in plastic bag in the freezer for 3 to 4 weeks.