Prep 5 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is from Bread Machine Magic. The best bun we ever had. When barbecuing, I usually divide the dough in half and make 4 burger buns and 6 hot dog buns.
- Place all ingredients in bread pan, select Dough setting, and press Start. (Vital Wheat Gluten is optional but the bread will rise higher with it.).
- When dough has risen enough, the machine will beep. Remove bread pan, and turn out dough onto a floured countertop. Gently roll and shape the dough into a 12-inch rope.
- With a sharp knife, divide dough into 8 pieces for hamburger buns or 12 pieces for hot dog buns.
- Grease a baking sheet. Roll pieces of dough into balls and flatten for hamburger buns or shape into 6-inch rolls for hot dog buns. Place on prepared baking sheet. Cover and let rise in warm oven 10 to 15 minutes until almost doubled.
- Preheat oven to 400°F Bake 10 to 12 minutes until golden brown (be careful mine cook pretty fast). Remove from oven and cool on racks. When ready to use, split buns horizontally. These will keep in plastic bag in the freezer for 3 to 4 weeks.
We Love LOVED Them:) Thank you for the Recipe. I did add 1 Table spoon of Flax Seed to it other than that I followed the recipe step by step Thank you so Much :)
Excellent recipe! I used 3 cups whole wheat flower and omitted the all purpose flower. They turn out perfect every time!
I used this bun recipe to make hot dog kolaches. They turned out wonderful. The buns were very soft and flavorful. Please see the picture of my kolaches in the Photo section. I made the dough in a stand mixer instead of a bread machine. The directions for my variation are below. Note that the recipe makes 8 very large buns or 12 regular sized buns.
Dry 8 jumbo hot dogs or 12 regular size hot dogs with a paper towel. I used turkey dogs to cut the fat. Warm the water to 105 to 110 degrees F. Add 1/4 cup of the warm water, 2 teaspoons of the sugar, and the yeast into the work bowl of the mixer. Allow to sit a few minutes to proof. Add the rest of the ingredients as in the original recipe and knead with a dough hook for 7 to 8 minutes. I added 1/4 cup additional flour because the dough was too sticky. Cover with a damp towel and allow to rise for about 45 minutes. Cut the dough into 8 pieces if using jumbo dogs or 12 pieces if using regular size dogs, and flatten each piece into a rectange about the length of the hot dogs. Roll the dough around the hot dog and pinch the seam well to close. You can use the hot dog like a rolling pin :o). Place kolache on a baking sheet seam side down. Continue to make 8 or 12 kolaches. Cover with a damp towel and allow to rise about 30 minutes. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes at 400 degrees F. Enjoy!