Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Yummy! Good for you whole wheat and an outstanding cherry/maple sauce to top it all off. I mix the dry together and the wet together and refrigerate it the night before. From FoodFit.
For the cherry sizzle
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons butter
- 3 cups cherries, pitted and halved
- 3⁄4 cup maple syrup
For the whole wheat griddle cakes
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup skim milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Prepare the cherry sizzle, in a small skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the fruit and cook until the cherries begin to soften slightly, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the maple syrup and bring to a boil. Set aside and keep warm.
- For the whole wheat griddle cakes, mix the flours, baking powder and salt in a bowl. (This can be done the night before and kept covered on the counter.)
- Lightly beat the milk, egg, oil and honey together.
- Add the liquid ingredients all at once to the flour mixture.
- Stir with a wooden spoon until just moistened.
- Do not overmix, a few lumps are fine.
- Warm a lightly greased griddle pan over medium heat.
- The pan is ready when a few drops of water sprinkled on the griddle form fast-moving bubbles.
- Pour batter onto the griddle: 1/8 cup for small or 1/4 cup for large pancakes.
- When the tops of the pancakes are covered with holes and the bottoms are golden brown, flip to brown the other side.
- Serve the griddle cakes topped with the cherry sizzle.