Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This tastes like dessert for breakfast. Top with some whipped cream for a real treat and a happy start to your day.
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 (12 ounce) can frozen apple juice concentrate, thawed
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
- additional butter, for topping
- maple syrup or apple butter
- Whisk first 6 ingredients in a large bowl to blend.
- Whisk apple juice concentrate, water, butter and eggs in a medium bowl to blend.
- Add to dry ingredients, whick batter just until blended.
- Heat heaby griddle or skillet over medium-high heat; brush with some oil or butter.
- Pour batter by 1/3 cupfuls onto griddle, spacing 2 inches apart.
- Cook until pancakes are golden brown, about 3 minutes per side.
- Transfer to plate and keep warm in low oven while making the rest of the pancakes.
- Serve with butter, maple syrup or apple butter.
These have become our family favorite. I use canola oil instead of melted butter and regular apple juice instead of the concentrated to cut down on the fat and sugar a little. We serve with Buttermilk Syrup recipe #16717. Any time I serve these to company they always ask for the recipe. Thanks!
Very tasty and easy to mix. The texture of the batter surprised me a bit - I'm not sure if it was the baking soda or whole wheat. You definitely need to watch how you drop the batter on the pan. Small amounts and spread it out, because it doesn't ooze out like traditional batter. Once I got used to working with it, the pancakes turned out beautifully! I only had a half can of apple juice concentrate, so I subbed the rest of the concentrate amount and water with apple juice. I happily ate a plain pancake without any butter or topping while cooking the rest!
These tasted really good, and I love how healthy they are. The texture leaves a little to be desired, though - they almost seemed gritty to me. My girls gobbled them up anyway! I will definitely try these again.