Recipe by Mims & Squims
Wonderful whole grain & lower fat version of popular biscuits. If you're not a big fan of whole wheat, try organic white whole wheat (or if you must, substitute half with all-purpose flour).
Top Review by Al Al
We really liked this biscuits and I hope to make them again sometime! The only change I made was to use real butter in place of the shortening and the margarine. (It seems like 1/2 c. is a lot to brush over the biscuits.. I will try it with half the amount next time). Thanks for posting a great whole wheat recipe!
- 1 7⁄8 cups whole wheat flour, sifted (it's just 2 cups minus 2 tablespoons)
- 1⁄3 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable shortening
- 2⁄3 cup skim milk
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup light margarine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Mix flour, baking soda, baking powder, and vegetable shortening until crumbly.
- Add milk & cheese until dough forms.
- Drop by spoonfuls onto ungreased cooking sheet.
- Bake 8- 10 min until golden brown.
- Mix butter and garlic powder. Brush over warm biscuits.