Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is always a hit at my BBQ's because it is so light and no cream based products in it. They also like it because I use whole wheat pasta, which is much more health friendly. It's great cold in the summer but also quite good hot in the winter. Add some chicken breast and make it a complete and healthy pasta dish!
- 1 lb whole wheat fusilli (cork screw pasta)
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1 sliced red pepper
- 1 sliced yellow pepper
- 1 sliced red onion
- 1 shallot, minced
- 3 finely minced garlic cloves
- 1 lb fresh mozzarella cheese, diced
- 1 lemon, juice of
- fresh basil, chiffonade (thin strips)
- Boil the pasta according to directions on the package. I have never been a fan of al dente for whole wheat pasta because it has a little bit more of a bite to it than regular al dente pasta. But cook it to whatever bite you would prefer. Strain in colander and transfer to a bowl large enough to toss in olive oil.
- Sauté the shallots, peppers and onions in olive oil until they are soft. Add the tomatoes, and sauté until they get soft. Add the garlic at the end so it does not burn. Transfer the mixture into the pasta and toss. Add diced mozzarella cheese, basil, lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste. Toss everything together and enjoy!