Recipe by Sydney Mike
Found this recipe in theAs You Like It Cookbook, 2001, & am posting it here along with its vegan counterpart!
Top Review by Nasseh
I made this using white bread also. I took 2Bleu's advice & only used 1/2 cup of milk & no water. We didn't miss the yolk because we don't really care for it in the first place. We did feel that this french toast was sweet enough on its own. Made for Went to Market Tag
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 3 egg whites (from large eggs)
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 8 slices whole wheat bread, sliced thick
- 1⁄2 cup pure maple syrup
Directions See How It's Made
- Place milk, water & egg whites in a blender & mix well.
- Add brown sugar, vanilla extract, cinnamon & salt, blending until smooth, then pour into a shallow bowl & set aside.
- Put butter in a large frying pan & heat over medium heat, being careful not to burn the butter.
- Soak each slice of bread in the egg mixture for about 30 seconds, then remove & place in the heated pan.
- Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the bottom is brown, then using a spatula, turn the each slice of bread over & cook the other side another 3 minutes.
- Serve quickly, drizzled with syrup.