1/4 Photos of Whole Wheat French Bread
3 hrs 30 mins
Marg (CaymanDesigns)'s Note:
The original recipe used all white flour but we have found we prefer the half and half. It is a good bread to serve with soups and spaghetti. Preparation includes rise time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Dissolve yeast in water, I add a pinch of sugar, and let rest about 5 minutes or until it begins to foam.
- 2Stir in salt, oil and half of flour.
- 3Gradually add remaining flour, mixing well.
- 4Knead 8-10 minutes or until smooth and elastic.
- 5Place in greased bowl and let rise until double (1/2-1 hour) Punch down and let rise again until double.
- 6Punch down and divide into 1-4 pieces, depending on the size loaves desired.
- 7Roll into an oblong shape and then roll up, starting on long side; pinch to seal, forming long thin loaves.
- 8Place on greased cookie sheet.
- 9Slash top of dough with knife 3-5 times diagonally down each loaf.
- 10Brush with water and let raise till double again (about 1 hour).
- 11Bake at 375°F for 30 minutes.
- 12Use within one day or double wrap and freeze.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Whole Wheat French Bread
Serving Size: 1 (75 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 176.9
- Calories from Fat 37
- Total Fat 4.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 292.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 0.1 g
- Protein 5.2 g