Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
Satisfy your chocolate craving with whole wheat, low-cholesterol, & heart benefitting flax seed.
- 3⁄4 cup light margarine, melted
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup egg white, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons egg whites, room temperature
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup pecans, chopped (optional)
- 4 tablespoons flax seed meal (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- With electric mixer, cream together margarine, sugar & vanilla. Add egg whites, a little at a time, beating well after each addition.
- In med. bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, baking powder & salt.
- Gradually fold flour mixture into sugar mixture, blending well. Do not overmix.
- Stir in pecans & flax seed meal. Note: Flax seed meal adds a rich nutty flavor. If yo don't like nuts or aren't adding pecans, use only 2 T flax seed meal.
- Spread batter into lightly greased 8x8" pan.
- Bake 40-45 minutes or until brownies begin to pull away from sides of pan. Test with toothpick for doneness.
- Cool completely before cutting into squares.
Very tasty, though next time I am going to try either cooking it longer or using a bigger pan as these were too fudgy for my taste..