Recipe by ellie_
Hearty bread goes great with soup and stew. Recipe source Bon Appetit (January 1982). Prep time includes 3 rises.
Top Review by Ms*Bindy
This really is a hearty bread. The recipe makes a HUGE loaf of bread. I mixed and did the first rise in my bread machine, and it kind of overflowed. I kind of suspected it might, with 8 cups of flour, but I was expecting the bread to be a little more dense, so I miscalculated a little there....lol...Anyways, the bread baked up nicely, and we enjoyed it. Thanks for a lovely recipe.
- 1⁄3 cup molasses
- 1⁄4 cup Crisco or 1⁄4 cup vegetable shortening
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups hot water
- 4 cups white flour
- 4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cake yeast, dissolved in
- 1⁄2 cup warm water (or use 1 envelop yeast disolved in 1/2 cup warm water)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fennel seeds, crushed
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease large bowl and set aside.
- Combine first 3 ingredients (molasses-salt) in large bowl.
- Add hot water and beat with an electric mixer until well blended.
- Add 2 cups white flour and 4 cups whole wheat flour, blending at medium speed or stirring with a wooden spoon until well blended.
- Add dissolved yeast and fennel.
- Stir in enough remaining white flour to make a stiff dough.
- Gather dough into a ball and transfer to floured bread board and knead for several minutes.
- Gather into ball and put in prepared greased bowl, turning to coat both sides of ball.
- Cover with plastic wrap or damp towel and let rise in draft-free area (I use an unheated microwave) for about 2 hours or until doubled.
- Punch dough down and reshape into ball.
- Let rise again until double (1 hour).
- Grease 12-cup bundt pan and set aside.
- Turn dough onto floured bread board and roll into a cylinder (24 inches long).
- Put cylinder in prepared pan, pinching ends together to seal.
- Let rise for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375- degree oven.
- Bake loaf for 1 hour or unti lightly browned.
- Let cool on rack before slicing.