1/1 Photo of Whole Wheat Fennel Bread
Hearty bread goes great with soup and stew. Recipe source Bon Appetit (January 1982). Prep time includes 3 rises.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Grease large bowl and set aside.
- 2Combine first 3 ingredients (molasses-salt) in large bowl.
- 3Add hot water and beat with an electric mixer until well blended.
- 4Add 2 cups white flour and 4 cups whole wheat flour, blending at medium speed or stirring with a wooden spoon until well blended.
- 5Add dissolved yeast and fennel.
- 6Stir in enough remaining white flour to make a stiff dough.
- 7Gather dough into a ball and transfer to floured bread board and knead for several minutes.
- 8Gather into ball and put in prepared greased bowl, turning to coat both sides of ball.
- 9Cover with plastic wrap or damp towel and let rise in draft-free area (I use an unheated microwave) for about 2 hours or until doubled.
- 10Punch dough down and reshape into ball.
- 11Let rise again until double (1 hour).
- 12Grease 12-cup bundt pan and set aside.
- 13Turn dough onto floured bread board and roll into a cylinder (24 inches long).
- 14Put cylinder in prepared pan, pinching ends together to seal.
- 15Let rise for 30 minutes.
- 16Preheat oven to 375- degree oven.
- 17Bake loaf for 1 hour or unti lightly browned.
- 18Let cool on rack before slicing.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Whole Wheat Fennel Bread
Serving Size: 1 (1767 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 4253.8
- Calories from Fat 594
- Total Fat 66.0 g
- Saturated Fat 17.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 4746.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 818.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 74.6 g
- Sugars 65.5 g
- Protein 119.3 g