Recipe by Chef Glaucia
These dinner rolls bake to a beautiful golden brown. They are hearty with whole wheat and rich with old-fashioned goodness !
Top Review by TXOLDHAM
Wonderful, tender dinner rolls that are more healthy than white flour alone. I used my bread machine to prepare the dough which made it really easy. Thanks for posting. I am saving in my "Tried and True" folder.
- 1 cup water (110 to 115 )
- 2 tablespoons water (110 to 115 )
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
Directions See How It's Made
- Place all ingredients into the pan of your bread machine. Program the machine for Manual or Dough. Adjust the dough consistency as necessary with additional flour or water; the finished dough should be soft and supple.
- Allow the machine to complete its cycle.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and divide it into 12 pieces.
- Shape each piece into a ball. Place 1 inches apart on greased baking sheets. Cover; let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Bake rolls in a preheated 375ºF for 15 to 20 min, or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks. Brush with melted butter.
- Serve warm.
- Note: You can substitute white whole wheat flour for the all-purpose flour and canola oil for the shortening in this recipe.