Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 hrs
This recipe is based on Derf's Crock Pot Lasagna Crock pot Lasagna however, I made so many changes that I felt this constituted a new recipe but Derf gets full credit for inspiring me and I did not make the changes because I didn't like the look of hers it just came down to what's in the cupboard and it worked. Make this as spicy or as bland as you like. The whole wheat noodles are wonderful
- 10 ounces flank steaks or 10 ounces top sirloin steaks, sliced thin and stir fry size or 10 ounces lean hamburger
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 3⁄4 cup onion, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomatoes and green chilies, chopped, juice included, to chunky sauce
- 5 ounces tomato soup (use a bit more if you like)
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 8 ounces 2% fat cottage cheese
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 cup asiago cheese, grated
- 6 ounces whole wheat lasagna noodles, uncooked
- 6 ounces jalapeno gouda cheese, shredded or 6 ounces other favorite cheese
- 2 tablespoons denzils big boy hot sauce (optional) or 2 tablespoons your favorite hot sauce (optional)
- Saute the meat, onions, mushrooms, oregano, salt,pepper & garlic until slightly browned.
- Mix tomato sauce & soup together separate from meat mixture.
- Add approx 4 oz of the the tomato mixture to the bottom of the crock pot (I use the smaller size crock pot for 2 people).
- Add an overlapping layer of whole wheat lasagna noodles, broken to cover the entire crock pot.
- Cover with 1/3 meat mixture, tomato, cottage cheese& other cheeses.
- Top with lasagna noodles.
- Repeat layer reserve some tomato sauce & cheese for final topping.
- Cover final layer of noodles with remaining sauce & cheeses (use remaining soup if you wish).
- Put the lid on & cook on low for 4-6 hours.
This is just the best lasagna we've had in ages. The addition of whole wheat pasta really added to the taste, but what "made" it was the nice touch of heat. We loved the jalepino cheese and I added two jalepino peppers chopped up and put into the tomatos (couldn't find tomatoes with chillis). We used very lean hamburger, I may try flank steak next time. This was just great and out does the original for taste. Thanks Bergy!!