Recipe by Vegan Freak
Vegetarian Cooking for Dummies. Use egg replacer for the eggs. For three times I had to resubmit this because it wouldn't let me send "egg replacer". Go figure.
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 1⁄4 cup warm water
- 3⁄4 cup warm soymilk
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
Directions See How It's Made
- In large bowl, dissolve yeast completely in the water.
- Add milk, sugar, honey, salt, egg replacer, oil and whole wheat flour. Stir until dough is smooth. Add all-purpose flour until dough forms a ball. If too sticky, add a little flour.
- Knead dough on floured surface until smooth and elastic.
- Oil a large bowl and place dough in bowl, and turn it over once so that you coat the top of dough with oil. Cover with a towel or waxed paper and let rise in warm place until doubled in size, about 2 hours.
- Punch down and divide into 2 pieces.
- Place dough balls one at a time on a floured aurface and roll each piece of dough into a circle about a foot in diameter. Lightly brush each circle with oil. With a sharp knife cup the circle in half, then quarters, until you have 16 wedges of dough.
- Preheat oven to 350. Roll dough, beginning at wide end, into a crescent shape, ending by pressing the tip onto the toll. Set each on a lightly oiled baking sheet and bend ends slightly for shape.
- Cover and let rise for about 30 minutes before baking. Bake for about 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Do not overcook. (Wow, that was a lot of typing!).