Yummy, light muffins. I usually make these muffins when we are having a "special" breakfast, for holidays or birthdays. The adults and kids both love these muffins. It has no sugar and uses whole wheat pastry flour. Note, you must use whole wheat pastry flour or the muffins are too grainy and dense. You can also use egg substitute.
- 473.18 ml whole wheat pastry flour
- 158.51 ml sugar substitute (such as Splenda)
- 4.92 ml baking powder
- 4.92 ml baking soda
- 2.46 ml salt
- 73.94 ml butter or 73.94 ml margarine, melted
- 158.51 ml orange juice, use juice from can of mandarin oranges, adding enough orange juice to make 2/3 cups
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 177.44 ml fresh cranberries
- 311.84 g can mandarin oranges
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Combine dry ingredients.
- Melt the butter.
- Whisk the eggs and orange juice into the melted butter.
- Add the liquid to the dry ingredients mixing until just moistened.
- Fold in the cranberries and oranges being careful not to mash the oranges.
- Spoon the batter into a muffin tin that has been coated with cooking spray.
- Bake for 15- 20 minutes, or until firm and golden brown.
These were very nice ... texture was great, and the mandarin oranges were a really lovely surprise. I also subbed applesauce for the butter to lighten them up a bit more, and it worked beautifully. The only reason I'm giving these 4 stars instead of 5 is that I now know I don't like Splenda. This was the first time I'd cooked with it, and I taste a real difference between Splenda and sugar. Since I'm lucky enough not to deal with diabetes issues, I'm sticking with sugar! But if you like (or don't mind) Splenda, this is a recipe worth trying. Light, not too sweet, mild orange taste and great cranberry taste. Thanks for posting!
The first batch I made burned on the bottom. I then lowered the oven to 350 degrees and cooked the full 20 minutes with perfect results. I used the Splenda for baking and 1/2 cup applesauce for the butter. I did drain the syrup from the oranges and used real orange juice instead. The orange flavor is not over powering and I might add some grated orange zest should I make these in the future. Also, I added 1/3 cup finely chopped pecans. They are moist, tender and delicious. Thanks for sharing.