Yummy, light muffins. I usually make these muffins when we are having a "special" breakfast, for holidays or birthdays. The adults and kids both love these muffins. It has no sugar and uses whole wheat pastry flour. Note, you must use whole wheat pastry flour or the muffins are too grainy and dense. You can also use egg substitute.
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 2⁄3 cup sugar substitute (such as Splenda)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons butter or 5 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 2⁄3 cup orange juice, use juice from can of mandarin oranges, adding enough orange juice to make 2/3 cups
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 3⁄4 cup fresh cranberries
- 1 (11 ounce) can mandarin oranges
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Combine dry ingredients.
- Melt the butter.
- Whisk the eggs and orange juice into the melted butter.
- Add the liquid to the dry ingredients mixing until just moistened.
- Fold in the cranberries and oranges being careful not to mash the oranges.
- Spoon the batter into a muffin tin that has been coated with cooking spray.
- Bake for 15- 20 minutes, or until firm and golden brown.