Recipe by *Monica*
When I make up a recipe of this, it's gone within an hour at our house. So yummy! And mostly healthy, too! I always make 2 recipes, in the hopes that there will be some leftovers the next day to put in the kids lunchboxes (in place of the usual sandwich). I usually make these to accompany soup, but sometimes I just make them for a snack.
Top Review by cookin mimi
Simple ingredients, easy to make, really tasty---what else could I ask for in a cracker recipe? I made my first batch today, but it won't be my last. I made the base recipe, baked half then added toasted sesame seeds to a portion and toasted flax seeds to a remainder of the batter, rolled them out and baked----UMMM!! Thanks so much for posting this keeper recipe. Monica.
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3⁄4 cup oat bran
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1 cup water
- sea salt, for sprinkling
Directions See How It's Made
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2. Put the flour, oat bran and salt in a bowl. Mix.
- 3. Pour in the olive oil and water.
- 4. Mix until just blended.
- 5. Divide dough into two pieces for thinner crackers or leave it in one piece for thicker crackers. We like the thin ones.
- 6. Roll the dough directly onto a cookie sheet. I use the Pampered Chef pizza roller and it works great to just roll the dough right into the sheet. But if you don't have one of those you can put the dough between two sheets of wax or parchment paper and roll out as thin as possible. Then transfer to an ungreased cookie sheet.
- 7. Mark squares out with a knife to score your crackers. If you don't do this step before you bake it, you will not get nice squares once it's baked. The crackers bake up pretty crisp and will just break into odd shapes and crumbs. There have been times I've forgotten to score it and it's still perfectly edible, it just looks more like almond bark jagged shapes than square or rectangle shaped crackers.
- 8. Prick each cracker with a fork a few times.
- 9. Sprinkle with salt.
- 10. Bake for 15 - 25 minutes in the oven, or until your crackers are crisp and light brown. Baking time might be different depending on how thin your crackers are.
- 11. When cool remove from baking sheet, and separate into individual crackers.