Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Avoid some processed foods and taste some fresh, homemade crackers without all those additives and preservatives.
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Sift flour, salt and baking powder into a bowl.
- Add brown sugar and butter and cut into flour with pastry blender or 2 knives.
- Add milk gradually, tossing with fork to moisten evenly. Add a few drops more milk if mix seems dry. It should not stick to the bowl or your hands.
- Divide dough into 4 pieces and press each into a ball and flatten slightly.
- Place each cake of dough between 2 pieces of wax paper and roll with rolling pin to about 3/16 inch thickness.
- Peel off top piece of wax paper and flip dough over onto ungreased cookie or pizza sheet.
- Cut into squares or any shape you like. A pizza cutter is good for this.
- Prick all over with a fork, then bake at 375 degrees until lightly browned, about 8-10 minutes Watch closely because crackers brown quickly. If the crackers on the outside brown before the center, remove the outer crackers and continue to bake the rest.
- VARIATIONS: For variety, you can add herbs to the dough, or sprinkle crackers with poppy, caraway or sesame seeds before baking.
These were pretty bland. Very healthy recipe, but next time I will add a lil something.
Great crackers! I added 1 Tbs fresh rosemary that I had chopped in the food processor and they thurned out great. Also instead of brown sugar I used 1 Tbs honey. They would also be good with just 1 tsp salt and next time I make these I will be trying them with olive oil instead of butter for a healthier cracker! Thanks for the recipe, this will become a staple in our home!!