4 hrs 45 mins
Chef #618469's Note:
A few years ago I was working for a Dutch Bakery here in Michigan. When it was Christmas time, my primary my job was to make and decorate cookies. But I would snack on Stollen all day long. I had never had it before and I loved it. I made this recipe with half whole wheat to add some more fiber and substituted coconut milk because I am alergic to milk. It is still high in sugar. Yet with all the fruit and nuts it can be a good source of energy as you are busily preparing for the party, or the perfect snack to feed to your guests.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon instant yeast
- 2/3 cup coconut milk
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cups bread flour
- 1/3 cup currants
- 1/3 cup sultana raisin
- 1/3 cup candied red cherries, quartered
- 1/3 cup candied peel
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 ounces almond paste
- 1 tablespoon icing sugar
- 1Start 8-12 hours in advance and soak the whole wheat flour in the coconut milk in ordet to nutralize the Phytic acid.
- 2Measure out the currants and raisins and soak in warm water.
- 3Mix all of the dry ingredients and all of the luquid ingredients, setting aside a little of the Bread Flour for kneading by hand.
- 4Knead for five minutes, then spread the dough out flat and add the fruit and peel on top and fold inches.
- 5Knead another 5 minutes or so until the gluten is fully developed and it is smooth.
- 6Set aside in an oiled bowl for 1-2 hours until about doubled in size.
- 7Push down and fold a couple of times, Let rest for 15 minutes.
- 8Roll out the almond paste into a 12 inch long rope.
- 9Push out the dough into a rectangle about 12 inches long.
- 10Put the almond paste in the center of the dough and fold tightly together to form the loaf, seal up the seam and fold over the top to form a lip. (this is to complete the look of a baby wrapped in swaddling clothes.).
- 11Let rise for one hour and then brush with an egg wash consisting of half an egg with 1/2 cup coconut milk.
- 12Meanwhile preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- 13Bake for 10 minutes at 350 and then reduce the temperature to 300 and bake for another 30-40 minutes.
- 14Cool on a wire rack and then dust with powered sugar if you desire.
Browse Our Top German Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Whole Wheat Christmas Stollen
Serving Size: 1 (82 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 327.7
- Calories from Fat 116
- Total Fat 12.9 g
- Saturated Fat 6.4 g
- Cholesterol 29.0 mg
- Sodium 352.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 26.9 g
- Protein 5.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
candied red cherries