Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Great mid-day snack for a boost of energy to last you to dinner (not to mention pretty good for you, too). I made this with two eggs, but I think it could use another. Let me know what you think. I may just add an egg white next time.
- 1 1⁄2 cups zucchini, grated (one large and one medium, for me)
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup fat free sour cream (I would have used yogurt, but this is what I had)
- 1⁄3 cup cocoa powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- preheat oven to 350.
- grate zucchini in food processor with applesauce.
- mix oil, eggs and sugar in mixing bowl until fully incorporated.
- add sour cream, cocoa and salt.
- gently mix in the final ingredients to avoid overbeating.
- Pour into greased bread pan and bake for 50-60 minutes.
This was decent, but not all that exciting. The texture was really good - nice and moist. I just really didn't taste any chocolate or much sweetness. I would probably make it again because it is so healthy and still edible. I might add some fake sugar or spices though to make it more flavorful w/o adding calories.
We love this recipe! I baked mine in mini bundt pans, and they came out like doughnuts, which was really fun:) I used yogurt instead of sour cream, but otherwise made the recipe as written, and it had a wonderful texture, just as good as regular, unhealthy cake recipes. Thanks for this one, it's a keeper!