Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
I found this on the bakingbites.com blog. This looks really tasty. I'm posting this here so I won't lose it.
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1⁄2 cup butter, room temperature
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour, divided
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk (any kind)
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups cherries (fresh, jarred or frozen)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°F Lightly grease a 9-inch square cake pan.
- In a large bowl, cream together sugar and butter until light. Beat in 1 cup of the flour, just until mixture resembles very coarse sand. Remove 1 cup of mixture to a small bowl and set aside.
- Beat baking powder and salt into the remaining flour mixture (in the large bowl). Add in milk, egg and vanilla and stir well, then mix in remaining flour until mixture is well-combined. Stir in cherries. Pour into prepared pan and spread into an even layer.
- Add ground cinnamon to the flour mixture in the small bowl. Grab small handfuls of the cinnamon mixture and squeeze, allowing the mixture to clump slightly. Sprinkle the clumps over the cake batter in an even layer.
- Bake for 30-45 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack.