Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Avoid some processed food and taste these fresh, homemade cheesy crackers made with wholesome ingredients, without all those additives and preservatives.
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese (4 ounces)
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Blend ingredients and shape into a roll 1-1/4 inches in diameter.
- At this point you can refrigerate or freeze in an airtight container until needed.
- Slice into 1/8 inch slices and prick them several times with a fork.
- Bake on an ungreased baking sheet for 8-10 mins in a 375 degree oven. Watch closely because crackers brown quickly. If the crackers on the outside brown before the center, remove the outer crackers and continue to bake rest.
I enjoyed the idea of these crackers: simple ingredients and easy to make. I didn't have pastry flour so I used 1/2 c. of regular whole wheat flour and 1/2 c. of white flour. I had a difficult time making the dough hang together so I added some water, rolled the dough into a log and chilled it overnight. The chilling really helped. The flavor was good but the whole wheat flour made for a grainy tasting cracker. I will try again when I have some pastry flour and see how that works.