Recipe by Queen Dragon Mom
Adopted! Original poster's note: This is a healthy whole wheat challah recipe with a light texture.
Top Review by spa27
This recipe was originally published on Aish.com I have to admit that I only tried it once, but did not have much success with it. Even with the sponge method, I still got a heavy challah. In addition, given the large amount of flour, I am surprised that this recipe calls for only two eggs.
- 2 ounces yeast
- 1⁄3 cup honey
- 3 cups warm water
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 10 cups whole wheat flour
- 1⁄3 cup oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Activate yeast in 1/2 cup water with sugar.
- Beat in remaining 2 1/2 cups of water , 5 cups flour, oil, honey, two eggs and salt. Let rise 30-60 minutes.
- Punch down. Add the rest of the flour slowly while kneading, until dough no longer sticks to fingers. Cover with damp towel.
- Allow to rise again until double in size. Punch down. Shape into loaves.
- Place in well-greased loaf pans or braid and place on cookie sheets. Let rise for 30 minutes.
- Bake in preheated oven at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 minutes.