Recipe by libellula03
fudgy carob brownies like the ones from Crumb's Bakery in Athens, Ohio. Made with healthy whole wheat flour and adapted from a recipe in How it All Vegan.
Top Review by Malika L.
This recipe confused me. The quantity of batter just seemed too little for an 8 X 8. I baked it in an 8 x 4 and had enough left over for two muffins, and the suggested baking time turned out to be correct, so I don't understand how it could possible fit an 8 X 8 and be of reasonable thickness. I also added one egg and found the texture to be very nice that way. Used a mix of honey and agave and it was way too sweet to my taste. Made it impossible to taste the carob or vanilla flavors. Next time I would try 1/2 cup instead of 3/4, or maybe even less.
- 1⁄3 cup rice flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup carob powder
- 3⁄4 cup honey or 3⁄4 cup maple syrup
- 1⁄3 cup oil
- 1⁄4 cup apple juice or 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup carob chips (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, mix together all of your flours, baking powder, salt, and carob powder.
- Add in the honey, juice, oil and vanilla and stir just until combined. Don't worry if there are some lumps - it's okay!
- Spread into a greased 8*8 inch pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick or knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.