Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
I found this one in a Dr. Oetker cookbook. I used spelt bran instead of finely ground spelt and it turned out fantastic, so I think spelt flour - or any other whole wheat flour for that matter - would do the same trick.
- 158.51 ml butter, softened
- 73.94 ml maple syrup
- 1 vanilla bean
- 3 eggs
- 78.07-118.29 ml spelt, finely ground or 78.07-118.29 ml whole wheat flour
- 4.92 ml baking powder
- 314.66 ml rolled oats (crush them a bit in a food processor)
- 603.27 g apples, peeled and diced (sweet or tart it's up to you)
- 59.14 ml sultana
- 59.14 ml butter, chopped into flakes
- 78.07 ml sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 375-400 °F.
- Beat butter in a large bowl until creamy (about 30 sec.).
- Gradually add maple syrup and vanilla seeds.
- Beat until the mixture becomes creamy and then stir in the eggs, one at a time.
- In a separate bowl mix spelt, rolled oats and baking powder.
- Gradually add the dry mix to the butter-egg mixture. Stir well.
- Put 2/3 of the mass in a well greased 9 inch pan and smooth down.
- Peel the apples and cut them into small pieces and spread them on the batter.
- Scatter sultanas over the apple fill.
- Using 2 teaspoons, spoon the remaining batter into heaps and spread them over the apples.
- Spread sliced almonds and butter flakes over the pie.
- Bake at 375-400°F for 50-60 minutes. Check it after 35 minutes and cover with foil if the surface gets too brown.
- Serve with whipped cream or maple or ginger syrup. (I use Recipe #123111).