Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
This recipe by master baker Beatrice Ojakangas is a great tasting way to add fiber to my family's diet. The dough is very easy to work with and my children used to love to help me roll this out when they were little. We like to stir these up on a Friday or Saturday night rather than order pizza. I'm including the fillings from the original recipe but you can substitue your family's favorites as we do. Enjoy!!
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages active dry yeast
- 1 1⁄2 cups warm water, 105F - 115 F
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups flour, unbleached, all-purpose
- 3 -3 1⁄2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon basil, dry
- 1 teaspoon oregano, dry
- 3⁄4 lb Italian sausage
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 3⁄4 cup romano cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, for brushing
- For Dough:.
- In a large mixing bowl, dissolve the yeast in warm water.
- Add the honey and let stand 5 minutes until yeast foams.
- Add the oil, salt, and all-purpose flour; beat well.
- Stir in enough of the whole wheat pastry flour to make a very stiff dough.
- Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour. During this time dough will become soft.
- For Filling:.
- Heat the tomato sauce with the basil and oregan; reserve.
- Simmer the sausages in water to cover for 20 minutes.
- Drain and cool the sausages.
- Remove sausage casings and slice thinly.
- In a medium bowl combine cheeses.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Lightly grease or line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Divde risen dough in half.
- Roll one half out on a lightly floured surface to an 11-inch circle.
- Brush lightly with olive oil and spread half of the tomato sauce over half of the dough circle to within 1/2 inch of the edges.
- Top sauce with half the sausage and sprinkle with half of the cheese mixture.
- Fold plain half over filling to within 1/4 inch of the opposite edge.
- Roll bottom edge up over top edge and pinch or crimp together to seal.
- Brush with olive oil.
- Transfer to baking sheet. Pierce top with fork.
- Repeat process with remaining dough and fillings.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Variations: Add your favorite fillings such as onions, green peppers, mushrooms, olives, spinach, cooked ground beef, pepperoni -- the sky's the limit.