Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 25 mins
Whole Wheat Calzone
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper, cubed
- 1⁄2 cup red pepper, cubed
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 chicken breasts, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 cup swiss cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- whole wheat bread mix, 1 package
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon water
- In medium skillet, heat 2 tablespoons oil; saute onion, green and red peppers, and garlic for 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add chicken, salt, pepper and oregano; stir occasionally until meat is browned, about 10 minutes.
- Drain off excess fat. Remove skillet from heat.
- Stir in Parmesan cheese, Swiss cheese, parsley and beaten egg; mix well and set aside.
- Make bread mix according to directions.
- Divide in 4 parts and roll each into a 9-inch circle.
- Place 1/4 of meat mixture on each.
- Moisten edges with water; fold to enclose filling, and press edges to seal.
- On a lightly greased baking sheet, cover and let rise for 15 minutes.
- Brush tops with egg yolk and water.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 to 30 minutes or until golden brown and sound hollow when tapped.