Prep 25 mins
Cook 2 hrs 45 mins
The perfect rusk recipe for dunking in coffee, tea, or hot chocolate. I actually sell these rusks to make a little extra money!
- Mix flour, baking powder and sugar.
- Melt margarine and beat in buttermilk until creamy.
- Add to dry ingredients and mix well.
- Press into greased baking sheet, pressing until it reaches all the edges and corners.
- Bake at 180°C for 45 minutes.
- Cut into fingers and spread out onto 2 baking trays.
- Dry in a 100°C oven for 1 1/2-2 hours.
Not knowing what 'rusks' were, I almost bypassed this recipe, but curiousity got the better of me, & I'm a much happier camper because of that! I actually made the recipe before reading the other reviews (so used the full 2 cups of sugar), & what can I say but that I'm glad I didn't cut back on it ~ Of course, I have a sweet tooth that needs much satisfhing, so . . . ! The buttermilk I always use is also a low-fat version! This recipe is definitely a keeper for me, & these little tasties will appear often on my finger food counter from now on! [Made & reviewed for 1 of the chefs that I adopted in the current Pick A Chef]
This recipe is brilliant, I have to control how many I make or the scales will go over the top!!!
These are quick as a wink to put together and have a lovely flavour. The reason for 2 cups sugar being too much is that in USA, the sugar is as fine as what we know castor sugar to be in SA. So, as a rule of thumb I always reduce the amount of sugar in a recipe by 1/3 and that adjusts it to the correct amount. Dankie Skattie, I will make these regularly!