Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Good for you and good to eat.
Make and share this Whole Wheat Buttermilk Pancakes recipe from Food.com.
- 2⁄3 cup whole wheat flour
- 2⁄3 cup cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 large egg whites
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted,cooled
- strawberry jam or warm maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 200°F.
- Combine flours, baking powder, cinnamon, soda and salt well; beat egg whites with sugar until thick and mixture has the consistency of sour cream, about 1 ½ minutes; spoon dry ingredients evenly over egg whites; carefully pour buttermilk and melted butter over; fold until combined.
- Heat pancake griddle over medium heat; add butter and heat until sizzling; drop batter by rounded tblsps onto griddle; cook pancakes until bottoms are brown, about 1 ½- 2 minutes; turn and cook until the other side is brown, about 1 more minute; transfer pancakes to a cookie sheet and keep warm in preheated oven; repeat with remaining pancake batter, adding more butter to griddle as necessary.
These were good, though we added chocolate chips and made a tasty fruit syrup on the side. The batter is very thick, so we added some skim milk to thin it a little, maybe 3-4 TBSP. This made it a lot easier to make the pancakes. Thanks!
These couldn't be better, I don't think! The combination of whole wheat & cake flours isn't something I've ever used, but the resulting pancakes were GREAT ~ Very tasty! I usually like the light corn syrup on my 'cakes, but this time I put that on the table, as well as some maple syrup & some homemade strawberry syrup! Decisions, decisions!! Thanks for posting your recipe! [Made & reviewed while touring Eastern Europe on Zaar's World Tour 4]