Prep 7 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
These buns are not dense, but wholesome and hearty and inexpensive to make yourself. Perfect for burgers, sloppy joes, sandwiches, and so easy if you make the dough in the bread maker.
- 1 cup water
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1⁄8 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons yeast
- Place all ingredients in your bread machine pan in order above. Select dough setting and press start.
- When dough has risen, the machine will beep to signal the end of the dough cycle. Remove from bread pan and turn out dough onto floured surface. Shape dough into 12 balls or cut dough into 12 pieces and shape into 12 pieces.
- Place balls approximately 2-3 inches apart onto greased baking sheet. Flatten balls for hamburger bun shape. Cover and let rise in warm oven 10-15 minutes until almost doubled.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and bake 10-12 minutes until golden brown. Remove from oven and cool on racks. Split horizontally for use. These freeze well too.
I can't pin down what I didn't like about these buns but I just didn't like the taste. There is no way I would get 12 decent sized buns out of this. Try half of that. It would also benefit from some kind of glaze. The buns looked a bit anaemic with the cook time stated even though I have a small convection oven that usually overcooks stuff in the alloted time. wish I could be more enthusiastic but this bun recipe just didn't really work for us.