Recipe by karlsanders
I am the official breadmaker in our household. I developed this recipe to meet Jenny's longing for 100% whole wheat bread that was not too brick-like. Gluten flour, Vitamin C powder (ascorbic acid) and lecithin granules can all be found at bulk or health food stores that cater to bakers. They are dough conditioners that allow organic or stone ground whole wheat flour to make a reasonably light loaf. Of course, it will still not be as light as commercial white loaves - you wouldn't want it to be! Be sure to use hard, or bread, flour, and not a soft pastry type flour.
Top Review by askinnycook
first time I made this in the abm I had to take it out, shape it into a loaf and bake it in the oven, because when I turned around just to look at the bread machine, this "thing" had risen and pushed the top open by at least 3 inches!!! That is one light loaf of bread! Even after I baked it the loaf rose so high it wouldn't fit into the recycled bread bag I use to store my bread. This time I reduced the gluten to a scant tablespoon and I still had dough to make a second mini-loaf. I deleted every other whole wheat bread recipe from my bread cookbook- I think that says it all. You won't be sorry you made this!!! Oh, and I also added about 1/2 cup or less of flax seed, just because we like "seedy" bread--still light and fluffy. Not like air bread- just a great whole grain loaf. BTW-my father was a baker and I have been making bread for more than 45 years, so I have tried my share of different bread recipes. This is far and away the best
- 1 3⁄4 cups water
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons lecithin granules
- 4 1⁄4 cups hard whole wheat flour
- 1⁄3 cup dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons skim milk powder
- 1⁄3 cup gluten flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vitamin C powder (ascorbic acid)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons yeast
Directions See How It's Made
- Place all the ingredients in a bread machine with a 2 lb loaf capacity.
- Put the ingredients into the pan more-or-less in the order given- wet ingredients first, yeast last.
- This will allow you to use a timer if desired.
- Use the whole wheat setting on the bread machine to bake the bread.
- (cooking times will vary according to your bread machine)