Recipe by pink cook
This is a recipe from my Czech Cookbook and the bread is good and simple to make. Enjoy.
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk, very warm
- 4 tablespoons shortening, melted
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package dry yeast
- 1 1⁄2 cups lukewarm water
- 7 cups sifted whole wheat flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix sugar, salt and melted shortening into the very warm milk. Stir until dissolved and cool. Dissolve dry yeast in lukewarm water and add to cooled shortening mixture. Stir in half of the flour and beat until smooth. Gradually add remaining flour, mixing well to form soft dough.
- Knead on lightly floured board until smooth. Place in greased bowl and brush with additional shortening, covering with towel and let rise in a warm place until double in volume.
- Divide dough into two equal portions and place in two greased bread loaf pans, brushing with shortening or butter. Cover and let rise until double, as above.
- Bake in preheated 350ºF. oven for about 1 hour or until done.