Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 3 hrs
Cook 35 mins
Adapted from Baking Illustrated
Make and share this Whole Wheat Bread recipe from Food.com.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, mix the water, yeast, honey, butter and salt with a rubber spatula. Mix in 1 cup of each of the whole-wheat and all-purpose flours.
- Transfer to a lightly floured surface and knead until dough is smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough in a very lightly oiled large bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise in a warm, draft-free area until the dough has doubled in volume, about 1 hour.
- Heat the oven to 375°. Gently press down the dough and divide it into two equal pieces. Gently press each piece into a rectangle about 1-inch thick and no longer than 9 inches. With a long side of the dough facing you, roll the dough firmly into a cylinder, pressing down to make sure the dough sticks to itself. Turn the dough seam-side up and pinch it closed. Place each cylinder of dough into a greased 9 by 5-inch loaf pan, seam-side down, pressing the dough gently so it touches all four sides of the pan. Cover the shaped dough; let rise until almost doubled in volume, 20 to 30 minutes.
- Bake until an instant-read thermometer inserted at an angle from the short end just above the pan rim reads 205°, 35 to 45 minutes.
- Transfer the bread immediately from the baking pans to a wire rack; cool to room temperature.