Prep 1 hr
Cook 3 hrs
I think I've developed a decent whole wheat bread without making it too heavy. I eat this toasted every morning with peanut butter.
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 4 1⁄2 cups bob's red mill bulgur cracked wheat
- 5 cups whole wheat flour
- 3⁄4 cup ground flax seeds
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 12 ounces warm lager beer (or Water)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 egg white
- 2 tablespoons water
- olive oil, for bowl and pans
- Bring Water to a boil and pour over the Bulgur Wheat in a small bowl. Set aside for 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a Stand Mixer Bowl, add the remainding dry ingredients.
- Add the Honey and Molasses to the Lager and stir to mix.
- Add the Bulgur Wheat mixture and the Lager mixture to the dry ingredients.
- With the Dough Hook in place, set the Stand Mixer on low speed and mix for five minutes, or until all ingredients are mixed well.
- Let rest for five minutes.
- Mix for twenty minutes more. Dough will be rather stickey. Don't add too much flour or the bread will come out too heavy.
- Remove dough from bowl. Using a little whole wheat flour so dough doesn't stick to your hands, shape dough into a ball.
- Place in a large, oiled bowl, turn dough over, cover bowl, and allow to rise in a warm place until doubled in size (about one hour).
- Preheat oven to 375 Degrees.
- Divide dough into two pieces, shape into oblong loaves, and place in two oiled bread pans. Cover and allow to rise until doubled in size (about one hour).
- With a sharp knife, slash each loaf the long way.
- Mix Egg White and Water well and brush the tops of the loaves.
- Get those puppies in the oven. Bake for 40 minutes. Remove from pans, and bake on oven racks for about five minutes.