Prep 2 hrs
Cook 45 mins
Nothing beats homemade bread.
- 7 -8 cups wheat flour, divided
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup butter, plus
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- butter, melted
- Combine 3 cus flour, yeast, and salt in a mixing bowl; stir, set aside.
- Combine milk, water, butter, and honey in a medium saucepan, place over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture reaches 120F to 130°F Stir milk mixture into flour mixture, and beat at medium speed with an electric mixer 2 minutes or until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to make a stiff dough.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface; let dough rest 10 minutes. Knead dough until smooth and elastic (about 3 minutes). Place in a well greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place, free od rafts, for 50 minutes or until doubled in bulk.
- Punch dough down, and divide in half, shape each portion into a loaf. Place in 2 well greased 9 x 5 x 3 inch loafpans. Cover and let rise, 50 minutes or until doubled in bulk.Bake at 375F for 35 to 45 minutes or until loaves sound hollow when tapped. Brush loaves with melted butter; remove from pans and let cool on wire racks.
- Rolls: Punch down dough after first rising, divide into thirds. Working with one third , divide into 8 pieces; shape each into a ball. Place 8 balls in a lightly greased 9 inch round cake pan. repeat with remaining dough. Cover, and let rise, 40 minutes or until doubled. Bake at 375F for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Brush with melted butter.