1/3 Photos of Whole Wheat Bread
3 hrs 10 mins
2 hrs 30 mins
I discovered this fantastic bread recipe by Jean Sutherland and I thought I would share with everyone. This is not a bread machine recipe! Zaar seems to have a lot of machine recipes but not many old-fashioned so I thought this would be a great addition. This bread is a little difficult to make but is perfect for sandwiches and tastes wonderful! Very much worth the work you have to invest. I replace all of the oil with 1/2 cup flax seed meal. It's a nice way to get that very nutritious grain into our diet easily. Plus it adds more flavor.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Add 4 1/2 tsp yeast to 3/4 cup water.
- 2Add 1 cup of whole wheat flour and mix vigorously.
- 3Cover bowl with plastic and let sit for 45 minutes to proof.
- 4When sponge is ready, uncover bowl and add the 1 1/2 cups of warm water and 2 cups of whole wheat flour . Stir in very well.
- 5Now add the 1/2 cup vital wheat gluten, 2 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil, 1/3 cup honey and 1 tablespoon salt. Mix these in well. Now start adding the remaining flour about 1/2 cup at a time. (I use my KitchenAid for this).
- 6Knead dough in mixer for 10 minutes or 20-30 minutes by hand. Take a break half-way through if you're hand kneading and let dough rest for 10 minutes.
- 7Place dough into large greased bowl (preferably not metal) and cover with plastic. Leave the dough to rise in a warm place for 1 to 1 1/2 hours until it doubles in size.
- 8Punch dough down, divide dough, and reshape into loaves. Place into greased 9x5 bread pans, cover with plastic and allow to rise again.
- 9Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 10Make egg wash by whisking egg and water together in small bowl.
- 11Brush egg wash over tops of loaves and then place in the oven to bake for 40 minutes.
- 12To test for doneness, pull the loaf out of the pan and tap the bottom with a wooden handle. It should have a hollow sound.
- 13Cool these for at least an hour before slicing. If you don't wait that long the structure of the bread will not support a knife and will mush down and stay permanently mushed when you're done mangling it. Try to be patient.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Whole Wheat Bread
Serving Size: 1 (1442 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1508.8
- Calories from Fat 254
- Total Fat 28.3 g
- Saturated Fat 4.4 g
- Cholesterol 93.0 mg
- Sodium 3545.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 287.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 37.8 g
- Sugars 47.8 g
- Protein 50.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
vital wheat gluten