Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
These awesome scones are packed with fresh blueberries and hearty whole grain goodness! Great for breakfast, brunch, or afternoon tea. Serve warm with butter and honey, fruit jam, or just on their own! Original recipe is from Light and Tasty.
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 3⁄4 cups unbleached flour
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar or 1⁄4 cup sucanat
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄3 cup cold butter
- 1 3⁄4 cups low-fat buttermilk
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh blueberries
- Combine first five ingredients in large bowl.
- Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in buttermilk just until moistened; stir in blueberries.
- Turn onto floured surface and gently knead 10 times.
- Transfer dough to greased baking sheet and pat into 9-inch circle; cut into 12 wedges, but do not separate.
- Bake scones at 375 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown, and serve warm.
Far too much whole wheat flour. It made the dough too heavy.
These were good, moist and light. I only gave it a 3 though because I prefer scones that are a little sweeter. But warmed up with a little butter and honey and they were a nice morning snack. Definitely made a large amount of dough and I cut it into 12 wedges.
Nice flavor, nutty but not too heavy. Made a batch with dried fruit instead of fresh, turned out great. Only complaint was they were very big. Second batch cut into 12 instead of 8.