Recipe by Derf
Mmm--hot biscuits or wonderful light dumplings on a stew. From Canadian Diabetes Association.
Top Review by Charishma_Ramchandani
Made these for an evening snack today. Thanks for the recipe, I'll make the herb biscuits next time. I like the softness of these biscuits when they come out of the oven, they resemble lovely sponge and cotton dumplings:)
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons margarine or 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup skim milk
for herb biscuits
- 1⁄4 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cilantro
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine flours, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
- Cut in margarine with a pastry blender or 2 knives.
- Add milk, mix quickly.
- Turn out onto a floured board.
- Knead 6 to 8 times.
- Roll 1/4 inch thick.
- Cut into 12, 2 inch round biscuits or into wedges or squares.
- Place on a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Bake in a 425°F oven 12 to 15 minutes until lightly browned.
- For herb biscuits, add basil, thyme and parsley to dry ingredients.
- (These make great dumplings).