Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
Simple whole wheat beer bread recipe. Great for making when you need bread in a pinch, or if you want to package the dry ingredients as a gift. Adapted from Farm Girl Fare (http://foodiefarmgirl.blogspot.com/2005/11/beer-bread-update-whole-wheat-version.html).
- 2 cups sifted whole wheat flour
- 1 cup sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons dried dill (or other herb of your choice)
- 14 ounces beer (or 12 ounces beer and 2 ounces water)
- Grease an eight inch loaf pan. Heat the oven to 375.
- Combine and mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Add the beer (and water if using) to the dry ingredients. Mix until just incorporated. Do not over mix.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until a toothpick (or wooden skewer) inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- On a rack, cool the loaf in the pan for 10 minutes. Remove from pan and cool for 10 more minutes. Serve.
- Optional steps: Brush the unbaked loaf with egg glaze (1 egg, 2 tsp water beaten together) and bake as normal. Or, after baked, brush top of loaf with 1 tsp butter.