Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is an adaptation of a Weight Watchers recipe that we have enjoyed many times. You can vary the toppings to suit your family's tastes. We have tried black olives, mushrooms, sausage, and different kinds of cheeses. Note on 5/19/2012 Since I always spice it up and the reviews agreed, I changed the recipe to reflect this. As always Pizzas are very easily customized and you can make it the way you like it.
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup skim milk
- 2 eggs (or egg substitute)
- 1 teaspoon oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 8 ounces ground beef, cooked, drained and crumbled
- 1⁄4 cup onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup green bell pepper, diced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- red pepper flakes
- 1 cup pizza sauce
- 8 ounces lowfat mozzarella cheese, coarsely shredded
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray 13 by 9 by 2-inch glass baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside. In bowl combine flour, milk, eggs (or substitute), oregano and 1/2 teaspoon salt and beat until smooth; pour into sprayed dish and sprinkle evenly with beef, vegetables, pepper, red pepper flakes and remaining salt. Bake for 20 minutes; top pizza with pizza sauce, sprinkle with cheese and any additional toppings you'd like and bake until cheese is melted and crust browned, 10 to 15 minutes.
Great quick fix pizza but nothing will ever replace a good yeast dough crust. Mind had a lot of flavor but I did "customize" it just a bit. I used 3/4 tsp salt and added a healthy shake of garlic powder as well as more onion and pepper. For the sauce I processed some leftover Eggplant Bolognese sauce from last night and used that for the pizza, I also added more green pepper to the toppings, black olives and shredded Parm on top of the Mozza. Made for XWT7.
This was very good, but for my family's tastes, needed to be spiced up a bit. Thinking the plain tomato sauce might be too bland, I added 1/2 tsp. Italian spice and 2 cloves of minced garlic. I will definitely make this again, but add even more of each to the sauce. I also added the extra toppings of mushrooms, turkey pepperoni and reduced-fat parmesan cheese. I loved how quickly this went together and how versatile it is according to tastes. MERP'd for Photo Tag. Thanks Jan!