Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
For serious basil lovers only. This is delicious and can accompany any Italian meal. I like that it calls for dried basil, something I always have on hand.
- 1 (13 1/4 ounce) package whole wheat penne
- 1 small white onion, chopped
- 2 -3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, saute onion in the olive oil, along with the dried basil. Saute over medium heat and stir frequently so the basil does not burn.
- Cook until onions are tender and translucent.
- Add salt to taste.
- When pasta is done, drain and add onion basil mixture.
- Add cheese and toss to coat.
- Serve warm.
- Add salt to taste if needed.
Delicious and so simple. I used garlic instead of onion as a personal preference and it was great. Thank you.
This serious basil lover did love this pasta! I usually don't like whole wheat pasta that much, but I know how much healthier it is for you. With this recipe the whole wheat pasta tasted nice. :) I used 1 1/2 Tbsp fresh basil, and I used 1/2 cup mozzarella and a 1/2 cup of a mix of romano and parmesean cheese. Yummy! Made for My 3 Chefs November 2008.