1/1 Photo of Whole Wheat Banana Strawberry Crumb Muffins (With No Sugar!)
I don't remember the last time that I made muffins "from a box." And I'm afraid if I tried muffins from a box, I wouldn't like them. They may be extra sweet...but I'm afraid they wouldn't taste real. Or good even. Since I gave up processed sugar and white flours this month, I've had to get creative with baking. I did get some wheat berries and sucanat to help make some sweeter treats that didn't have white flour or sugar involved. And I thought adding a crumb topping would be helpful since sucanat isn't quite as sweet as sugar. The sweet crumb topping was a perfect addition to these muffins. These were phenomenal. I did not think the kids would like them because they were made with all whole wheat flour (I've generally made muffins with half white and half wheat flour). I though the density and thickness of the muffins from being made with all whole wheat would be a turn off. Well, let me tell you...there were none left to freeze! Between breakfast, afternoon snack and being requested again that night for dessert, these guys didn't even have a chance to get into the freezer.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 3/4 cup sucanat
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil or 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup mashed strawberry
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease 12 muffin tins or line with paper cups.
- 2In a large stand mixer or mixing bowl, beat together the bananas, sucanat, egg, oil and applesauce. Beat in the whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Gently fold in 1 cup of mashed strawberries.
- 3In a small mixing bowl, add the whole wheat flour, cinnamon and sucanat for the topping. Cut in butter with fork or pastry blender.
- 4Pour the batter into the greased muffin tin and then divide the topping evenly.
- 5Bake in the preheated oven for 18 to 22 minutes, or until toothpick come out clean.
- 6Let cool slightly before serving.
- 7Serve warm with butter.
- 8Makes 12 muffins.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Whole Wheat Banana Strawberry Crumb Muffins (With No Sugar!)
Serving Size: 1 (144 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 254.4
- Calories from Fat 80
- Total Fat 8.9 g
- Saturated Fat 2.6 g
- Cholesterol 37.7 mg
- Sodium 533.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.7 g
- Sugars 8.5 g
- Protein 6.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: