Prep 10 mins
Cook 22 mins
I don't remember the last time that I made muffins "from a box." And I'm afraid if I tried muffins from a box, I wouldn't like them. They may be extra sweet...but I'm afraid they wouldn't taste real. Or good even. Since I gave up processed sugar and white flours this month, I've had to get creative with baking. I did get some wheat berries and sucanat to help make some sweeter treats that didn't have white flour or sugar involved. And I thought adding a crumb topping would be helpful since sucanat isn't quite as sweet as sugar. The sweet crumb topping was a perfect addition to these muffins. These were phenomenal. I did not think the kids would like them because they were made with all whole wheat flour (I've generally made muffins with half white and half wheat flour). I though the density and thickness of the muffins from being made with all whole wheat would be a turn off. Well, let me tell you...there were none left to freeze! Between breakfast, afternoon snack and being requested again that night for dessert, these guys didn't even have a chance to get into the freezer.
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 3⁄4 cup sucanat
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil or 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1⁄4 cup applesauce
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup mashed strawberry
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup sucanat
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 teaspoon butter or 1 teaspoon margarine
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease 12 muffin tins or line with paper cups.
- In a large stand mixer or mixing bowl, beat together the bananas, sucanat, egg, oil and applesauce. Beat in the whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Gently fold in 1 cup of mashed strawberries.
- In a small mixing bowl, add the whole wheat flour, cinnamon and sucanat for the topping. Cut in butter with fork or pastry blender.
- Pour the batter into the greased muffin tin and then divide the topping evenly.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 18 to 22 minutes, or until toothpick come out clean.
- Let cool slightly before serving.
- Serve warm with butter.
- Makes 12 muffins.