Recipe by Marlitt
This is a really quick and easy recipe. Most of all its healthy, moist and tasty. The recipe has been in the family as long as I can remember. Not really sure where it came from. Kids still ask for it when they're coming home from college on the weekend.
Top Review by cipherbabe
This is a keeper. Thanks for the recipe, Marlitt. You can make it even more healthy by substituting unsweetened applesauce for the butter, dropping the calories per serving down to around 200 calories.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup unbleached flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄4 cups mashed bananas (2 large or 3 small)
- 1⁄4 cup buttermilk or 1⁄4 cup yogurt or 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup carob chips or 1⁄2 cup chocolate chips
- 1⁄2 cup raisins (optional)
- 1 -2 tablespoon icing sugar, for dusting (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl cream butter and sugar together until very light and creamy.
- Beat in egg.
- Add vanilla extract and blend, set aside.
- Into a medium bowl or on a sheet of wax paper sift together whole wheat, unbleached flours and baking soda.
- In a small bowl blend buttermilk and mashed banana.
- Add dry ingredients alternately with the banana mixture to the butter mixture.
- Stirring just enought to combine well.
- Stir in walnuts and chocolate chips, raisins if you like.
- Turn into a greased and floured 9 x 5 loaf pan or bundt cake pan.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes on middle rack.
- Until tooth pick comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan for 5- 10 minutes.
- Remove from pan and cool on rack.
- After it is cooled just a light dusting with icing sugar if you like.